Friday, November 9, 2007

Why People Need Jobs

Daily I am amazed at the intelligence of ordinary people. I give interviews at work and I like to ask my own questions. Recently I was given an applicant and on the front page of his application he had two misspelled words. My spelling is not that great either but I make sure that on important papers such as an application I would at least spell my former company and my title correctly, he had misspelled Fry's 'Frie's' and his former position was receiving store manager, 'reseving stoor'. So I gave him a spelling test asking him to spell basic words such as; job, cashier, and target. It was quite amusing, after all this man had been able to obtain management positions and had some college education.
I have also had the pleasure of asking other applicants what their favorite book is, and I have come to the conclusion that people in this country, at least the general population, no longer read. I actually had someone in an interview tell me that she stopped reading in first grade. Isn't that when most children are initiated into the wonderful world of reading? How can you pass through school every year when you don't or can't read?

No comments: